1 (1 1/2-pound) butternut squash, peeled and 3/4-inch) diced
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons dried cranberries
3 radishes, sliced
1 cup shaved fennel
1 cup red cabbage, julianne
4 ounces baby arugula, washed and spun dry
2 cups romaine, torn
1 cup candied walnuts
4 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
3/4 cup apple cider or apple juice
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons minced shallots
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the butternut squash on a sheet pan.
- Add 2 table spoons olive oil, the maple syrup, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and toss.
- Roast the squash for 15 to 20 minutes, turning once, until tender.
- Add the cranberries to the pan for the last 5 minutes.
- While the squash is roasting, combine the apple cider, vinegar, and shallots in a small saucepan
- and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until the cider is reduced to about 1/4 cup.
- Off the heat, whisk in the mustard, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
Place the arugula, romaine, fennel, red cabbage and radishes in a large salad bowl and add the roasted squash mixture.
Spoon just enough vinaigrette over the salad to moisten and toss gently.
Garnish with goat cheese, candied walnuts and additional dried cranberries if you wish.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve immediately.